Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Elephants are on the March!

I'm really into working on my Elephant quilt. I'm not sure if I will finish it this month, a queen sized quilt is big!

I plan on quilting it in three panels, then putting it together QAYG with a green strip. I made the back for the elephant panel, green and navy stripes, hoping they would line up with the blocks on the front.
The green and navy strips is the elephant section. The other two panels will have the fabric on either side for the backing.
I wanted to try out Leah Day's elastic method to hold the backing taut. The problem was the elastic I had wasn't nearly enough, so I ran out to the closest quilt/sewing store, Barbara's Quilt Shop.
Barbara's is an Amish quilt shop, some fabric (a good selection of fabric for Amish clothing, not a lot of quilting fabric. Although, what they have is $4.00 - $6.00 /yd), notions, and other assorted stuff.  Luckily they had elastic. I bought 4 packets, all less than a dollar each.
 

I attached the elastic under the tables and pinned it to the back of the quilt.

Not perfect, but way better than tape.

I baste in my VERY UNfinished basement

Since I'm using Quilters Dream Puff (polyester), I pin basted it. Spray doesn't stick well to polyester batting
I did a lot of stitch in the ditch to stabilize, then started quilting.

I was pleased at how well my front and back lined up.

Detail of the start of quilting. I'm using an Aurifil variegated for the paisley and around the elephants.  Aurifil Midnight stitching around everything.

I'm pleased with the progress so far. But lest you think I didn't do my obligatory mending this week, I did fix a pair of pants, where the top stitching had come out of the zipper.
Can't really see the stitching, but they are all fixed.
I'm linking up with Leah Day for UFO Sunday at the Free Motion Quilting Project.


UFO Sundays on the Free Motion Quilting Project



Color Me Quilty!

Pat

6 comments:

  1. I really like the design which frames the elephants on the front and LOVE the quilting! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, wow! I love the quilting you're doing. The diamond spirals, the flowers in the paisley - totally cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your elephant quilt is fantastic. The quilting is really going to make it sing. I haven't seen Leah's tip of using the elastic to hold the backing taut. I am going to have to check that out and give it a try. I am always looking for ways to make the job easier and faster. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job..You did a great job of matching the back with the front. It is going to be beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. The elephants and quilting is gorgeous on this quilt.

    "Spray doesn't stick well to polyester batting" OH HOW I WISH I knew this a few weeks ago when I basted my black and gray diamond quilt!! I just learned this the hard way this past weekend! I am having a terrible time now that quilting is started but the backing shifted....and fixing it has proven difficult. It'll happen....but it'll take way more time than it should. If I can get through it without ripping quilting anywhere along the way, I will consider it a win.

    Can't wait to see your quilt when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the elephants! I haven't tried the elastic thing yet, I don't have enough table surface - glad you tried it and were successful!

    ReplyDelete