Monday, March 25, 2013

Unexpected Treasures

I have been cleaning out closets for the last few days. Closets upstairs, stuffed with my mom's stuff, mostly sewing, but some more personal stuff. When she passed away (about 2.5 years ago), I hauled 3 or 4 truckloads of stuff to my house. I have gone through most of it, but some of it I just packed into closets in totes and bags. The time has come, the hole in my heart is strong enough (I think) to go through some of the more personal stuff.
 This is just part of what I am going through, but the stuff I cull out will be so much better donated to people who will actually use some of it.
 
I did find these cute little ceramic quilts, that now hang in my sewing room. I little reminder of mom.


But the biggest find was this unexpected treasure, a quilt top. I'm pretty sure that my grandmother (my mom's mom), made this back in the 1940's or 1950's. It's about 71"x80" and almost modern in design, everything old is new again. I'm really looking forward to quilting this quilt, three generations of quilters. Pretty cool!

So even through this has been a tough few days, going through my mom's stuff has had its rewards. I hope that both mom and grandma are smiling.

Color Me Quilty!

Pat

12 comments:

  1. I am sure Mom and Grandma will be smiling when you quilt that top and make it a finished piece.

    It is difficult to go through the personal stuff. There are so many memories involved that it takes a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Pat.Although I havent gone through that experience yet, I hear people say there can be healing when you do it. So marvelous to find the top. I just know they would be pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were smart to wait until the hole in your heart told you that it was time. I've had to go through the stuff that belonged to my husband, and I'm taking it slow too. The people I know who pushed it, didn't handle it as well as the people who waited until they were ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a difficult process Pat but how lovely to come across such treasures! That quilt is incredibly beautiful, I adore those vintage fabrics and how special that you will quilt it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That quilt top is such a treasure! Cuddling under that will surely having healing properties. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope having some of these treasures out of the closet will bring you peace. What a nice find - the quilt that will have been made with the love of three generations of quilters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How awesome Pat. An absolute treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless you. I still have a garage-full of stuff from my Mom that I need to go through. She passed in 2006, I moved the stuff in 2008 when we decided to sell the house. I cleaned out 'most' of it then ... but there's still a lot left. It's still tough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing. This is amazing! It takes some real strength to share something so personal. The quilt top is a total treasure! I look forward to see how you quilt it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure they're both smiling! What lovely finds :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing :) The quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful treasure to find. I'm so happy that you have it and will add your own creative style as you finish it. That's a true heirloom.

    ReplyDelete