Friday, November 30, 2012

Finally Getting A Little Back Bone!

I'm not sure why I have been so nervous about embroidering on fluffy towels, but I have totally avoided it. The problem is that it is almost impossible to hoop, if the towel is thick. I know that everyone says to just stick it to the top of the hoop and go, but I was afraid it would shift. So last night I got a little back bone and decided to get it a try!
Design from Urban Threads
I love these spines. One thing you should know, if you don't already, I work at a Chiropractic College. And these spine towels are going to one of the best (probably the very best) student intern I've ever had. She's graduating this weekend and moving to Tennessee to practice (Folks of Tennessee, you are getting one FINE chiropractor and I DON'T say that lightly!!!)

Anyway, here's how I embroidered them, easy as pie!
Hoop water soluble stabilizer and spray it with 505 adhesive spray

Carefully center your towel in the hoop and press it down into the adhesive

Top with another layer of water soluble stabilizer - this helps smooth the top to better embroider.

Insert the hoop into your machine, be careful that the towel does fold under the hoop and get stitched where you don't want it to get stitched.

Start embroidering!

Remove the hoop when your done. View from the back of the hoop

Cut away the excess stabilizer

Rinse to remove the rest of the stabilizer
 Voila! Two towels ready to gift! Happy Graduation Marlee, you ROCK!

I'm linking up with the fabulous Making Rebecca Lynne for TGIFF!


Color Me Quilty!

Pat

2 comments:

  1. These are fab! Your colleagues are building up quite a collection of spines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Pat! Marlee is very lucky to get these and to have you as a mentor!

    ReplyDelete