Wednesday, January 18, 2012

WIP Wednesday: A Little FMQ Practice

What does homemade/handmade mean to you? Especially if you receive something from someone you love? Many years ago, a favorite uncle caned some dining room chair seats for me.  One had a small hole where the cane broke as he was doing it and to fix it, it meant redoing the whole seat. I loved the chair with the little hole (it was my favorite of the 4), it meant is was handmade and I truly appreciated my uncle's work. So this week, I chilled out and had a great time quilting and stopped worrying about "perfection". I have a "FMQ Sampler" that I use to practice quilting. I was able to quilt 6 more blocks, including several for Leah Day's QAL!
I thought this block was perfect for our assignment this week to stipple in quadrants and rows.

Horizontal rows of stippling

Vertical columns of stippling

It's hard to see the stitching here at all. Another reason to just relax and quilt!

I had such fun quilting this week!
I also worked at fitting stippling into a block. I added spirals in the middle to practice for Quokka Quilts QAL!
Okay, so my question for Leah this week is about bobbin thread (which I know she has talked about keeping it the same as the top). But I was wondering what do you use in the bobbin when you use special threads on the top, such as metallic or some of the heavier weight threads?

Other quilty work I accomplished this week was all of the blocks for Laura's fabulous QAYGFMQQAL at Quokka Quilts!
I have all of the batting cut and most of the back pieces. I even have the first four blocks quilted, but I'll wait to show them when we link up at Quokka Quilts.

So, my stats this week are:
In-process: (5)
Hip to be Square FMQ sampler (6 more blocks quilted! 20 out of 30 blocks quilted)
Purple heart wall hanging ( needs borders, backing, quilting and binding)
Expanding Possibilities quilt (needs backing, quilting and binding)
Storybook quilt # 1 -  Blocks are done
Storybook quilt # 2 - All embroidery is done

New projects in the cue to start: (4)
Quokka Quilts QAYGFMQQAL quilt (All of the blocks are done, batting cut, most of the backing is cut).
FLMQG solids challenge crib quilt (Not started)
New Wave quilt (not started)
Friend's baby quilt - fabric picked out!


Finished (0)

I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday and The Free Motion Quilting Project for Quilt A Long Wednesday!






WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


 






Color Me Quilty!


Pat

9 comments:

  1. Oh I love your colours. It's going to be fabulous. It's so exciting seeing all the different variations on the theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Pat! You're stippling like a pro AND you helped me find the QAYGFMQQAL. I didn't know about that project, but love the idea!

      Delete
  2. Great idea for a fmq sampler to practice on. Love those gorgeous batiks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these colors!!!! And your stippling is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks great. Love the bright colours in your quilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stippling looks fantastic! I love the colors in your QAYGFMQQAL quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your fmq looks great and I love your colour choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your FMQ sampler. And your stippling looks wonderfull!

    ReplyDelete