Friday, May 18, 2012

Tell Me A Story From The Storybook Quilt


Storybook Quilt # 1 - Approximately 70"x 85.5"
Sometimes the universe brings together all of the elements to create a beautiful story and I think that's what happened with my storybook quilt. This quilt demanded my attention and demanded to be made. It all started with inheriting some orphan blocks from my mom.

Inherited orphaned blocks

I knew that she hadn't made these blocks, none of these fabrics were in her stash. With 7 blocks, it was difficult to see how they could make a quilt, especially since I knew I would never make more of them. To my surprise, one of the blocks was signed and dated (2004) on the back. I found out that mom's sewing group members each made a block and my mom won them.

At home in the library


The next element came into play when Hawthorne Threads had an awesome cyber Monday sale on Lizzy House's fabric line 1001 Peeps. I love that fabric, so of course I bought it with no particular project in mind.  


In the same vein, I had purchased some cool storybook machine embroidery files from Embroidery Library. Why, because one step-daughter is a librarian and the other is a school teacher, did I have a choice???

Mosaic of embroidered blocks

Last element happened last year too, I acquired two adorable granddaughters, ages 5 and 8. I mean, don't they deserve quilts to make them feel part of my blended family??? 
My step-daughter Beth is the Director of Geneva Public Library
The rest of the fabric all came from my mom's enormous stash, including the borders and backing.
Quilt back

Librarians at Geneva Public Library give my storybook quilt a thumbs up!

I constructed the quilt as a QAYG (quilt as you go). I was amazed at how easy it went together. It must have been "meant to be"! I will be making a second storybook quilt. I'm hoping they will give the girls years of storybook inspiration.

I'm thrilled to be linking up for my second Bloggers' Quilt Festival at Amy's Creative Side.

Amy's Creative Side



Color Me Quilty!

Pat

23 comments:

  1. How great. The quilt and the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely meant to be!! It is a beautiful quilt. I love the story and the design is wonderful.
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing someone cozy under a beautiful quilt. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Pat. How beautiful and resourceful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup definitely an heirloom. One for the books! (no pun intended)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really wonderful quilt! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've kind of followed you as this quilt has come to life. It is amazing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pat, I just got done reading your lovely story about the amazing quilt that you did The Story Book Quilt is beautiful/the wisdom that you put into your Blog,the projects that you have done with your Mom's (my best friends) stash is just Out Standing,She is so Proud of you as I am as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful, special quilt. I absolutely love the embroidered fairy tale blocks! It was so great to read how this quilt came together step-by-step, fantastic story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous story behind this quilt. It's a wonderful quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, Pat, this is gorgeous! I love stories like this -- clearly meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome quilt!

    Check out my blog if you can...

    Margaret Gunn
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely story and a great quilt! Love it when it all comes together lie that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pat this is my favorite quilt of yours to date and such a great story!!! Beautiful a, and a rare purple quilt. I love everything about it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pat, I love your quilt and so enjoyed reading the story behind it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhh, I love it! What a great combination of events to pull together a beautiful quilt. A fantastic use of the Peeps too. I love that line and struggle with using it. Your quilt does a great job of showcasing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the colors and the story, really beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. great quilt and wonderful story. lovely colors and just great all the way around. thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so excited that I just got to vote for you! Congratulations! This is a great quilt and one that deserves all of this attention!

    ReplyDelete