Thursday, May 31, 2012

Sew Cal Gal's May FMQ Challenge

Choo Choo Train

 When I first saw Leah Day's FMQ design/tutorial for Sew Cal Gal's May challenge, I knew I had to do something with a train. My grandsons love trains. So I decided to combine some of my new FMQ skills and create this pillow top. I found a coloring book train image on the internet and printed it. I then used last month's technique to transfer the design on to the fabric.
I guess you could say that I "thread painted" the windows and filled in areas in the train.
Small scale "zippling" to fill in behind the train.

Boxy Railroad tracks around the border.
Learning and applying all of these new FMQ skills has really improved my confidence, I feel like I would be willing to try any design.

I'm linking up with Sew Cal Gal for the May FMQ Challenge and with Happy Quilting for TNT Thursday because of all the new FMQ designs and "thread painting".





Color Me Quilty!

Pat

9 comments:

  1. Fabulous train. And just love the tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome Pat. Love the train tracks. You have taken those designs and tweaked them to fit something new and original. If you havent sent link to Leah I think you should. I believe every teacher is excited and encouraged by seeing what people are doing with what they pass on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The railroad tracks are great!! I don't have a train themed quilt on my to-do's yet, but when I inevitably do, I'm definitely using that idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too on loving the tracks. Thread painting is a blast and so creative and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, aren't you just so clever? Yes, you are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the variation on Leah's design to look like an actual train track, and the thread painting turned out great.

    ReplyDelete