Thursday, April 26, 2012

Try New Things (TNT) Thursday: Quilt Marking

I have been participating in Sew Cal Gal's free-motion quilting challenge this year. Every month she has a guest blogger give a tutorial. This month it was Don Linn (Mr. Quilt). He showed us an ingenious way to mark a quilt for quilting, with fine mesh tulle!
Tulle, clip art, water soluble marking pen, embroidery hoop, and black Sharpie marker (not shown)
 I was pretty happy, I found the tulle at JoAnn's for $1.49/yd and I had a 50% off coupon. So for less than a dollar, I have enough tulle for numerous projects.
I pressed my tulle before I hooped it (it was pretty wrinkled). I was surprised how hot I could set my iron.
I found the bird image online, free clip art.

Trace the image on to the tulle with the Sharpie marker.
I am amazed at how easy it was to trace and how well it showed up on the tulle. Do NOT unhoop your design.

This is a VERY important step, heat set your marker. Otherwise it will bleed onto your quilt.

Your quilt (or in my case quilt sandwich)
Place your design on your quilt and trace with your water soluble pen.

Do NOT press or you will heat set the marks on your quilt. My pen is a bit old and dry so the marks are light.

Stitched!
 I will so be using this method to mark quilts again and again. I love the idea you can do it after your quilt is already basted.

I'm linking up with the lovely Melissa at Happy Quilting for TNT Thursday!


Color Me Quilty!

Pat

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this!!!! It is so cool, i cant wait to try it. That design on the tulle can be saved to use over and over. I have not done much quilting using drawn lines, but want to start. I love the freedom of FMQ, but also want to expand my design options. I have taken leaves from the yard and traced them on template plastic and didnt know what to do next. I have everything but the disappearing marker kicking around so once i get that i will give it a try.
    Just thinking what every would i do without people like you that share so willingly about their quilting process.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very clever! I would never have thought to do something like this. I'm definitely going to keep this for future reference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a great idea. I was sewing on black and wasn't able to see my marking on tulle but it works great for light backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!! Your stitching is perfect!

    ReplyDelete