Wednesday, April 11, 2012

WIP and QAL Wednesday: Scorched

Wow, how did it get to be Wednesday already??!! With gardening season starting to ramp up, I'm having trouble keeping up. I was able to finish my little wholecloth quilt for Leah Day's QAL Wednesday.
I was able to soak, block and bind it. I did my binding a little different than Leah. I sew the binding on the front, press it to the back, then stitch in the ditch on the front making sure I catch the binding on the back. I think it gives it a cleaner look on the front.

I did have a serious problem though, as I was pressing the binding, it scorched the front of my quilt.
The bottom feathers and bottom heart are slightly scorched.
I used the same iron and setting I did when I first pressed and starched the fabric at the start. I used the iron on other fabric afterward and the iron appears to be working just fine. I barely touched the front of the quilt with the iron, I certainly didn't leave it on there from any length of time.

So this leads me directly to my question for Leah. Why did my quilt front scorch so easily? Does it have anything to do with the poly batting? It is my own hand-dyed fabric made from RK Kona Cotton PFD using procion dyes. I've never had it scorch before.

On to my other projects this week, I did finish this little wall hanging (Formerly meant to be a sewing machine cover).
My stats this week are:
In-process: (9)
FLMQG solids challenge crib quilt (2 out of 9 Urban Nine Patch blocks done)
Purple heart wall hanging ( needs borders, backing, quilting and binding)
Expanding Possibilities quilt (basted, now to be quilted)
Storybook quilt # 1 -   quilt the border and bind it
Storybook quilt # 2 - All embroidery is done
Quokka Quilts QAYGFMQQAL quilt (18 blocks out of 30 quilted)
Geneva Public Library quilt - join and quilt (maybe make a block or two to even it out)
iPad case (embroidered and started piecing and quilting)
Sew Cal Gal's March FMQ Challenge - Embellishment

New projects in the cue to start: (1)
New Wave quilt (not started)

Finished (2)
Sewing Machine Cover/wall hanging
Whole cloth quilt for QAL Wednesday 
 
I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday and The Free Motion Quilting Project for QAL Wednesday


WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Free Motion Quilt Along

Color Me Quilty!

Pat

P.S. I will be hosting my first ever linky party QED (Quilty Embellishment Day) on Sunday, April 15th. I have a guest blogger and even a chance at a giveaway for those that link up. Click here for more details. So please stop by and check it out!

9 comments:

  1. Your wholecloth is so pretty, its a shame about the slight scorching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours of your whole cloth, all and all great job! :-) Your binding came out perfect! I think I should pull the stitches out for the binding and redo it, rather by hand...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I think the scorching just adds some character to the quilt. I like your way of binding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your whole cloth looks great! Bummer it got scorched, though:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt looks great. Sorry about the scorching - I have that problem sometimes with starch. ~jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Your wholecloth quilt is amazing.The quilting is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great outcome on your little quilt (agree with "The Thompsons". Perhaps a little added 'character'?). When I attach the binding with the machine, your method is the one I use. I have had quite good results with it and usually do it on the items that will be used & laundered more often, such as baby quilts. You really have been busy!!! Hugs, Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks wonderful - must feel great, even with the extra heat embellishment, to have this under your belt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt looks gorgeous, love the contrasting binding. That's a nice trik on the binding. I usually love the hand binding myself. But at times love the machine binding for baby stuff :-).
    Love the start quilt too, those feathers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete