Wednesday, March 21, 2012

WIP Wednesday: All Marked Up!

Woohoo it's Wednesday! That means it's time for linking up with Leah Day to share a little FMQ love. This week homework was to mark and baste a whole cloth quilt. Funny thing is I think this was more challenging to me than actually stitching it. Even though it's not exactly a solid, I decided to use some of my hand dyed fabric. Since I had washed the fabric several times at the end of the dying process, I didn't wash it again. I did starch the living daylights out of it. I loved how well spraying it and flipping it over to press it worked. With no light box, I taped the pattern and fabric to a glass door.
I'm not crazy enough to stand through marking this whole thing. I put it low enough to pull a chair up to the window.

I used a purple marking pen I picked up at JoAnn's Fabric. I did test it and it does wash out.
Now is when the concern for me starts - basting. I picked up some high loft polyester batting (again at JoAnn's). I've never used poly or such a puffing batting. I normally spray baste and that has worked well so far. Hmmm, maybe not so good for this project, I may re-baste my quilt with pins, as I have already added a few because the spray basting doesn't feel secure.
The quilt is spray basted, but I did add a few pins.
I am so looking forward to starting to quilt this project, I think it is going to be fun! So on to my question for Leah. What type and size of light box do you use or suggest? Does it work with dark/black fabric? If you are marking a larger quilt (larger than the light box) do you add registration marks on quilt and pattern so you can line it up properly?

Leah, I would also like to say thank you for QAL Wednesday! I am having so much fun!

Now on to some other projects I worked on this week. I finished quilting my sewing machine cover, just need to bind and put on some ties.
Front

Back

Close-up
I also started an iPad case.

A little machine embroidery for the front.

The back. Same batting that is used in Vera Bradley bags. I love the dimension this adds

Expanding Possibilities quilt basted and ready to quilt!
Started and finished my Charming Gothic pin cushion with tutorial.
My stats this week are:
In-process: (8)
FLMQG solids challenge crib quilt (2 out of 9 Urban Nine Patch blocks done)
Purple heart wall hanging ( needs borders, backing, quilting and binding)
Expanding Possibilities quilt (basted, now to be quilted)
Storybook quilt # 1 -  Everything is together, just need a border and binding (QAYG )
Storybook quilt # 2 - All embroidery is done
Quokka Quilts QAYGFMQQAL quilt (13 blocks out of 30 quilted)
Sewing Machine Cover - FMQ complete, need binding and ties
Geneva Public Library quilt - join and quilt (maybe make a block or two to even it out)

New projects in the cue to start: (2)
iPad case (embroidered and started piecing and quilting)
New Wave quilt (not started)

Finished (1)
Charming Gothic Pin Cushion
 

I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday and The Free Motion Quilting Project for QAL Wednesday



WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Free Motion Quilt Along




Color Me Quilty!

Pat

12 comments:

  1. I did my homework too and found it rather difficult to do. I love your gothic pin cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness- love the quilting on your sewing machine cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you hand dyed fabric! Awesome color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hand dyed fabric is amazing, and the purple marking pen looks like it showed up really well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hand dyed fabric looks great, and I love the way you've arranged the coloured elements in your Expanding Possibilities quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss Pat - you are definitely the overachiever!! Wonderful projects. Thanks for linking them all on the list - I especially like the Expanding Possibilities quilt; that's spectacular!

    Beautiful job -

    ReplyDelete
  7. To me you look like a pro already. Love your quilting - I still havent really tried out FMQ just because my little machine wouldnt do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely projects! I can't wait to see what the whole cloth project looks like when it's all quilted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You have been really busy. All your projects look great.
    I especially like the new quilt with flying geese, the colors are so vibrant. also the pebbling on you iPad case looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pat, I love all your works in progress! They are inspiring. Sounds like I'm not the only one that looks forward to Wednesdays...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the fabric, also! I wasn't smart enough to tape my fabric in a spot where I could sit. And since I'm short, I had pretty sore arms by the end of it! Did you have a pattern for the iPad case? I need to make one.

    ReplyDelete