Thursday, March 29, 2012

Try New Things (TNT) Thursday: Quilt Painting!


The other day, while out browsing some of my favorite blogs, Laura at Quokka Quilts was showing her project from a two day workshop she attended with Helen Godden. I couldn't take my eyes off of her project. I then went in search of Helen Godden, who just happens to be a very talented quilt artist. After a little more stalking searching I found out that she was using Lumiere paints by Jaquard. I couldn't find them locally, so I ordered this little starter pack. Come to find out Leah Day used these paints on her quilt "Hot Cast".

I received these paints in the mail the other day, but I needed a quilt to try them out on. I knew I had to quilt a sample for the Sew Cal Gal March FMQ Challenge, so I decided to combine the projects.
Approx. 10" x 10"


Detail

Detail
These pictures really don't do this little piece justice, the quilt quite literally shimmers in the light. I used the paints without any mixing, applied by a small paint brush. They covered amazingly well. Painting was my first love, so the thought that I can combine the two, makes me a happy girl. I have a feeling that I will need a little more that just the starter pack of paint.

If you were with me last week for TTT and TNT Thursday, I asked you all about me starting a Quilty Embellishment Linky (QED) Party. I've decided to hold it on the 15th of each month. I hope you will join me. More details to follow.

Of course, I'm linking up today with the Melissa at Happy Quilting and Rebecca Lynne at Making Rebecca Lynne!



Thursday Think Tank


Color Me Quilty!

Pat

22 comments:

  1. Oh wow, now that is art. The quilting is incredible. So is the painting, how fun! What will you do with this beauty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my comment above, but I was signed into the wrong google account, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We carry the lumiere paints in our sewing store and LOVE them! Our quilting teacher has done a few classes on mixed media and included the paints in the lesson. I can't wait to share this with her! Is it ok if I pin the picture of the quilt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mallory,

      I'm answering you here because you are a no-reply blogger. You are welcome to pin from my blog as long as you link back to my blog. I have pinned this image, feel free to follow me on Pinterest (see button on right side). I would love to know where your store is located.

      Delete
  4. As always, amazing!!! Your quilting is just stunning!!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love what you did with the fabric paint! I am going to have to check out those paints. I am thinking they might be great for making labels too. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great results on that cute little mini quilt! Thanks for letting us know about this paint.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous! It looks like a beautiful embroidery. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool, this turned out great! Love the shine

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh Pat it's gorgeous. Really brings teh quilting to life - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought this piece was amazing before but the painting is just fantastic. I loved the Helen Godden link too, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is gorgeous! Someone mentioned it above, this would be really cool for labels.

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful! what an amazing little quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is just gorgeous! I love the quilting design itself, and then the addition of the colour - wow! I still need to do my piece up for this month, and you're inspiring me to give it a different direction, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pat, it looks awesome! Wow, you did a great job. I also wanted to let you know that I tagged you this week - http://quiltmatters.blogspot.ca/2012/03/tagged-im-it.html. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!!! Wow is all I can say!!!! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That. is soooo cool. I never thought of that. I would never consider myself as some who can paint, but to paint the designs that are quilted. Wow. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Pat
    This is beautiful! It might even get me interested in quilting. I love the luminous sheen to the paint, and I really like your quilt design under the paint.Very cool!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so frikkin amazing - So you quilted the piece and THEN painted it?
    I want to try this. . like. . NOW

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Pat! I just finished my project that was INSPIRED by YOU!! I linked back to your blog so everyone could see YOUR beautiful quilt.
    http://katiesquiltsandcrafts.blogspot.com/2012/05/painted-dahlia.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful piece, the dark green background is the perfect base for these lovely colours thank you for sharing, Im off to view your pinboards :)

    ReplyDelete