Wednesday, April 25, 2012

WIP and QAL Wednesday: Sharp Stippling

Crazy week! Friends in from out of town, an emergency room trip with DH (he's fine now), 80 degrees (F) on Friday, an inch of snow on Monday! Phew! It felt good to get back into my sewing room. I worked on the little water lily wall hanging from last week. I did sharp stippling in the outside border.
Front

Back

I have to laugh, I really struggled with sharp stippling, kind of felt like I was trying to pat my head, rub my stomach, walk and chew gum! I struggled with drawing it on paper, so I knew I would have trouble stitching it. But I have to say, I'm quite pleased with the result. I really love the texture.

I then stitched some square spirals for the inner border. That's when I started to have some problems.
Knots

Skipped stitches

Which leads me to my question for Leah today: Does the design you are stitching affect the machine's tension or stitch quality? I stitched the sharp stipple first with very little machine problems. I started stitching the square spirals and I kept getting birds nests, skipped stitches, loopy stitches, etc. Same thread, same needle (the needle was new before I started stitching the sharp stipples), same tension setting.

So on to my other projects this week! Nada, but at least I finished the Mom's Water Lily project!
My stats this week are:
In-process: (9)
FLMQG solids challenge crib quilt (2 out of 9 Urban Nine Patch blocks done)
Purple heart wall hanging ( needs borders, backing, quilting and binding)
Expanding Possibilities quilt (basted, now to be quilted)
Storybook quilt # 1 -   quilt the border and bind it
Storybook quilt # 2 - All embroidery is done
Quokka Quilts QAYGFMQQAL quilt (18 blocks out of 30 quilted)
Geneva Public Library quilt - join and quilt (maybe make a block or two to even it out)
iPad case (embroidered and started piecing and quilting)
Sew Cal Gal's March FMQ Challenge - Embellishment

New projects: (0)

Finished (1)
(Mom's) Water Lily applique project
 
I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday and The Free Motion Quilting Project for QAL Wednesday




WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Free Motion Quilt Along

Color Me Quilty!

Pat

11 comments:

  1. The accent stitching on your flowers is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those square spirals. And the stitching in the flowers. I am glad when people show the backs of their quilts so we can get a better view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least I wasn't the only one who felt that way about the sharp stitching. It looks great though. This quilt just looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sharp stippling looks great! It's heartening to know I wasn't the only one with struggles.

    LOVE your square spirals! I keep trying to master them on my dry erase board - I keep cutting off corners and then end up spiral lopsides.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work! It's great to see a project using the sharp stippling - helps to envision using it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilting looks awesome! I'm not sure about the problems you had with the square spirals, but am pretty sure it would have made me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the whole quilt! Your mother would be pleased for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the stippling edged in my mind now, so starting the sharp stippling I had a couple of times where I did a couple of stippling instead of sharp. your sharp stippling looks great. I think I need to practice a bit to get the hang of it. I had an ahaaa moment when I read Leah's answer to your question. Thanks for asking it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice job, Pat - your spirals and sharp stippling look great from the front and the back.....

    ReplyDelete