Friday, July 27, 2012

Picnic Season


There will be a short interruption in quilting, while I bring you some picnic fare. Since I live on the lake, can you guess where the family and company picnics are held???? Yup, right here on my beach! Starting tomorrow through next Sunday, I will be hosting three picnics (yes, I have help). We put up a big tent, even bring in a port-a-potty, we have it down to a science.
We decided on sliders (mini sandwiches)

Now, everyone brings a dish to pass, but I supply the sandwich fixings. I used to have cold cuts, but last year I had pulled pork in the crock pot, it was a big hit. This year I'm kicking it up a notch - 3 kinds of pulled meat sliders. Mongolian Beef with Asian Slaw, Buffalo Chicken with Celery & Blue Cheese Dressing, and Pulled Pork with Creamy Slaw. All made in the crock pot/slow cooker.

Recipe for Mongolian Beef
1 beef chuck roast
1 onion thinly sliced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup hoisin sauce (although I just throw in the whole 8 oz jar)
1 Tablespoon of freshly grated ginger
1 Tablespoon of pressed garlic.

Put everything in the crock pot for about 8 or 9 hours on low (it will be faster if you put it on high) or until the meat is falling apart. Remove meat from crock pot and shred using two forks. Remove fat and any other sinewy stuff and put shredded meat back in the crock pot with all of the juices. You can make this a day or two ahead, then just put the crock pot on warm and serve on slider buns.

Recipe for Asian Slaw
1 Napa Cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
1/4 cup Soy sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 Sesame oil
2 Tablespoons freshly grated ginger
2 Tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons of brown sugar
1 Teaspoon salt
2 Teaspoons of sesame seeds (optional)

Mix all of the ingredients together, except cabbage. Pour dressing over cabbage and toss. Serve on top of Mongolian beef sliders.

 I will post the other two recipes tomorrow. 

 I really love having family and friends, I look forward to this every year.

Color Me Picnicy!

Pat

1 comment:

  1. Yum! That sounds delicious, I predict the sliders will be a big hit.

    ReplyDelete