Thursday, August 9, 2012

Faux Piped Binding


In the recent September 2012 issue of American Quilter magazine, there was an article on "Faux Piped Binding" by Trisha Chubbs. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to try it.
Choose two contrasting fabrics - The plaid is the binding, the teal is the piping. The binding strips (plaid) are cut 1 1/2" and the teal piping strips are cut 1 3/4". Note: this is a little counter intuitive, the piping piece is wider than the binding piece.
 You will need to cut enough of each (binding and piping) to go around your quilt. 2x lenght + 2x width + about 10" extra to overlap and join at the end.
You are going to be making a two piece binding.
Sew the binding strips together into one long strip, then sew the piping strips into one long strip. (All seems are 1/4").
Then sew the binding and the piping strips together

Press the seams toward the piping side.


Fold the binding in half and press. (front)
Back of the folded binding.

Attach the binding to the BACK of your quilt.

Fold the binding over to the front and stitch in the ditch.

You will probably see the stitching on the back, but I really love the effect of the piping.
I'm linking up today with Happy Quilting for TNT Thursday!


Color Me Quilty!

Pat

14 comments:

  1. This is great!! How did the stitching on the back of your quilt turn out? Any tips for keeping it nice and tidy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this! I've been looking for this tutorial since I saw it on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking about trying this for some time but still haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for reminding me to move it up my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really effective, I used it on a kindle cover, and it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've done something similar for a flange but never at the binding. Was it hard to make a clean corner? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will definitely have to give this a go. It would be fantastic on a mini quilt.
    Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried this technique on several table runners I made at Christmastime, and I love it! I used "invisible thread" (Superior polyester monofilament) to stitch in the ditch, and it was almost impossible to see the stitches on the back! Yes, it was hard to make clean corners, but I suspect I'll get better at that - or figure out a "trick" - with more practice. Of the many machine binding techniques I have tried, this is the ONLY one I have been happy with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had tried this with someone else's directions, and her measurements were WAY off!! I figured and re-figured on my own, and came up with pretty much what is shown here. I hate hand stitching the binding, and this works great!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the tutorial. What about corners - do you make them as usual? One picture, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this technique!
    Groetjes
    Annemieke

    ReplyDelete
  12. The strip for the piped edge should be cut 1/2" bigger than strip for binding, not 1/4". Otherwise the edges won't match when you turn and press it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've done this by pressing towards the BINDING strip, not the piping. It makes it much easier to fold the whole thing in half, because you're not trying to fold the seam allowance into a 1/8 inch fold. Then sew in the ditch with thread which matches your piping.

    For the people asking about corners, try this link, she has pictures of how to do the corner:
    http://www.52quilts.com/2012/05/tuesday-tutorial-susies-magic-binding.html

    ReplyDelete