Friday, August 10, 2012

Sea Glass Quilt (QAYGFMQQAL) Finished!

I really love how this quilt turned out. And I love how much I learned from making this quilt.
The quilt is approx. 50" x 60"
 I started this quilt in January as part of Quokka Quilts QAYGFMQQAL (quilt as you go, free motion quilting, quilt-a-long). Each week we would get a new set of designs to quilt, each block is FMQ differently, then joined together after it is quilted.
 The entire quilt, both piecing and FMQ is done with 50 wt Aurifil thread. I struggled a little bit at the beginning with breaking thread, but Alex Veronelli from Aurifil was so wonderful to help me troubleshoot the problem. It turned out that the batting I was using (Warm and Natural) has a needle punched scrim and there is a top and bottom to the batting. As soon as I put the batting in the sandwich correctly, the thread worked beautifully!

Back of the quilt.

I love the texture of the quilting on the back.
I also tried a new technique for the binding, faux piping.
I was planning on donating this quilt, but a certain family member has admired this quilt from the beginning and today is her birthday. I think she deserves this quilt!

Today, I'm linking up with TGIFF over at Blossom Heart Quilts. This quilt is also on my Finish-A-Long list with Quilter in the Gap.


2012 Finish-A-Long



Color Me Quilty!

Pat

19 comments:

  1. This is an awesome quilt!!

    How do you know which side of the batting is the top and which is the bottom? I always realized they looked a little different but didn't know it was supposed to go one way or the other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat- it's beautiful!! What a great quilt! That's quite an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt. Would love to no where i can get the instructions for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks lovely, very fresh and cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an amazing quilt!! Congratulations on the finish. I can't wait to try the piped binding you used on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love those sea colours and the FMQ is amazing. What a gorgeous birthday gift!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt! Very calming colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful! It just calls out to be used and cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this quilt too. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Fabulous quilt and would make a great present!

    Who knew there was a top and bottom side to some batting?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this is is spectacular Pat!!!! :) So beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt! I love the colours you chose. Hope the birthday girl likes it! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love this quilt ...am a the lucky family member...oh right i am not a family member oh darn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just beautiful! You did a lovely job! I've used that batting for years (even sold it, working at a fabric store!) and never realized there was a top and bottom... how can you tell the difference?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brenda Motl (brendamotl@yahoo.com}August 11, 2012 at 1:19 AM

    I love this quilt as well and love the idea of quilt as you go. I would also love to know where to get the pattern an instructions on making this quilt as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this quilt, and I love your tutorials on how to do the sashing on quilt as you go - I've been too nervous to try it, but hadn't seen such clear instructions before. I'm hating the basting and quilting of large quilts right now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pat this is gorgeous! I love the piped binding, brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. just beautiful. I am in awe :)

    ReplyDelete