Sunday, August 26, 2012

UFO Sunday!


Today is Leah Day's first UFO (UnFinished Objects) Sunday.  Now, many of you know that I participate in WIP Wednesday, but this is different. I'm hoping that participating in this linky party we will create a community of sharing ideas to get projects back into action. So today I'm sharing a quilt that I and a whole group of kids started as a Library demonstration project back in February of the year .

7 blocks of fused raw edge applique
The kids got to see and feel real hand-made quilts, many for the first time.

Then they got to play, cut out shapes and create their own blocks

Kaitlyn's block

Jania's block

Brynn's block

Madison's block

Tanya (Librarian) creating a block for her daughter

Beth (Library Director) creating her own block.
I plan on adding two additional blocks to even it out, so that I can put all nine blocks together. I will construct it in a qayg (quilt as you go) method. But how should I quilt it? Just stitch around each applique (straight stitch an 1/8" from the end)? Should I do any filler stitches? Should I use medium loft polyester or high loft polyester?  I would love to hear how you would approach this quilt. When this is done, it will hang in the Geneva Public Library.

My challenge is to have this finished for the start of the school year (the week after Labor Day).

So I'm off to check out what other UFO's are flying around blogland at the Free Motion Quilting Project!

Color Me Quilty!

Pat

8 comments:

  1. quilt around the elements of each block...use a medium loft polyester....i would want the blocks to be the focus not the quilting...so i would keep the quilting to a minium

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful UFO Pat! I love the shots of all the kids working with fabric. I agree with Sherry that the focus should be on the appliqued shapes, but you could put a background filler into the white sections to tie all the blocks together. Just outline the appliques, and fill the white with a single fill that will pull everything together. No matter what you do, it's going to be a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sherry and Leah, make the applique stand out as well as the kids' name on each block!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have done a few quilts of this type and have used sashing and a matching border to tie the blocks together. I am working on one right now for a customer and the sashing is a pale blue print. I also agree that the applique should be outlined and that the focus needs to stay on the blocks. The kids are going to love seeing their quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely! What a fun project! I think I would just do a simple filler white-on-white in the background, after outlining the shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a terrific project! The pics of the children working on their blocks just make it even better. Thank you for sharing.
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute and colorful this will be! Those kidos will be so excited to see their work in a quilt! I am cheering for you to geterdone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great project. Love the pics of all the kids showing their blocks. Very nice! [I found you thru Leah's UFO Linky Party]

    ReplyDelete