Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Oven Mitt Madness

Last night I decided I really needed to make some oven mitts. I have seen several tutorials and thought, no big deal this should be easy! It all started out just fine...then it kind of went downhill from there.
Made a pattern by tracing an existing oven mitt, adding approx. 1/2" all the way around.

3 layers: pre-quilted fabric for the inside, Insul-Bright batting and Sanctuary fabric (by Patty Young) for the outside.

This is were I think I will do it differently next time. I cut out all 3 layers before I quilted it together. Normally I quilt, then cut.

I put both side together with an over-cast stitch.

Looks good so far, right?

Upon closer inspection, I didn't catch all 3 layers in my seam. I tried 3 times, then I called it quits for the night!
 I also think that the outside fabric maybe to light weight.  I will try it again tonight to see if I can master the oven mitt!

Color Me Quilty!

Pat

6 comments:

  1. So frustrating! But it is so pretty! Great fabric and quilting. Hopefully tonight is more successful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first and last oven glove making nearly drove me mad! I thought it would be a quick project. Who could guess what an ordeal they'd be? I think you've got the solution for another time, though - quilt then cut. I'm sure you'll sort these out tonight anyway. They're very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If at first you don't succeed, you may want to rethink a bit!
    I am sure it will come right, Give it some settling time and you will get there.

    Looks good though, love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly what I thought - easy, quick, last minute. Well I threw my first try out. I have since made a mitt which is cute - but I forgot the quilting part. Third time the charm?

    ReplyDelete
  5. urgh how annoying! It's a great choice of fabric and makes a pretty oven glove! I agree to cut the shape out after quilting - that's what I did! A little bit of hand sewing would fix that though, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh No! HOw frustrating for you, now I am not so tempted...lol.

    ReplyDelete