Saturday, December 3, 2011

I'm Hooked On Feathers!

The other day I was on Amazon and this book "accidentally" slipped into my shopping cart. Some of you might not have realized that I'm kind of obsessed at the moment with FMQ feathers. Now that I have my "big" machine back from being repaired, I can get back to quilting my cubic rhythm quilt (which I hope to give as a Christmas present!) With traditional feathers, there is a lot of travel stitching (going over the top of existing stitches) and it makes quite "dense". With the technique in Hooked on Feathers by Sally Terry, there is no travel stitching, it it literally stitching "hooks". All you do is stitch a hook, then pivot back.

The basic design. 

Design variations



Amazing what you can do with this simple technique.

I had a lot of fun with different variations to the "hook"

Adding a few ribbons

Varying the size of the hook
This was sew easy! And I think it looks pretty cool. Now I'm off to finish my cubic rhythm quilt.


Color Me Quilty!

Pat

4 comments:

  1. Those traveling stitches are one of the things that annoy me the most about my FMQ. Glad to see so many cool patterns that don't use them but still look great! Have fun with your feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a neat technique! I love looking at what the "big machines" and talented ladies combine to create.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! My daughter loved your feathers, said they were pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great and I like not having travel stitching. Mine always seemed very messy!

    ReplyDelete