Thursday, December 22, 2011

Try New Things (TNT) Thursday: Oven Mitts Take 2!

Okay, so I was thinking that oven mitts would make a nice quick Christmas gift. I'm finding out, not so quick. I have a lot to learn. My first attempt at oven mitts did not work out as well as I would like. So, I decided to try again. Better, usable, even giftable, but still has some kinks.

3 layers: prequilted fabric (a little added protection), Insul-Bright, Alexander Henry's Barcelona fabric

FMQ in a geometric pattern

I drew an outline, then stitched it, before cutting it out. (Thanks to Janine from Rainbow Hare for this idea).

I cut it out, then over cast stitched to keep it from fraying.


Flipped it right sided out. I used a small dowel to help turn the thumb.

Voila! An oven mitt!

Added the binding. This was very difficult because it barely fit on the free-arm of my machine.

Comparison to the store bought mitt I copied.
I'm making two of these as a gift. STILL stitching for Christmas!

I'm linking up with the wonderful Melissa at Happy Quilting for Try New Things (TNT) Thursday.





Color Me Quilty!

Pat

10 comments:

  1. I might just have a go at making something different xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look awesome and I agree that putting on the binding is the hardest part :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking oven mitt! Binding always seems to be hard to put on bulky stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, Instead of putting the armhole of the glove round the free arm, use the flat bed, and work from the inside(you can leave the glove inside out, and thereby work from the outside inside, if you see what I mean) with the rest sticking up at the side. It is a little fiddly, but it is what I did before I had a free arm, so it does work.

    Looks great though. I may have to start making oven gloves- so much nicer than bought ones, which are boring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're almost tempting me now - and I have a resolution never to make oven gloves again! This is great - SO much nicer than the store bought one:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Job Pat! What did you think of the pre-quilted material? How does the oven mitt compare with the original for protection? Oh I am so tempted to make some for our future new place, but I shall resist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! Well done, much nicer than the store bought!!

    ReplyDelete