Friday, October 28, 2011

Quilt Transitions Through A Generation


I don't remember when I first learned to sew. Both Grandmothers sewed, my mom was a fabulous sewist, even my babysitter sewed. I remember taking my dolls' dresses apart to use them as a pattern to make new ones. My mom started quilting in the late 70's. I was busy with high school, then college. I, for the most part stopped sewing, as I moved around the country for my career. All the while, my mom made me beautiful quilts.
Transitions

My mom was very active, then was suddenly cut down with cancer.
Her last wish was to teach me to use her machines and I willingly listened and learned throughout the summer of 2010. September 2010, my mom passed away and left me two beautiful Baby Lock sewing/embroidery machines and a HUGE fabric stash.
 





I moved truck loads of sewing stuff to my house and tried for months to make sense of it. I was not sure I wanted to quilt or embroider, until I found some pictures of quilts on the Flickr group Fresh Modern Quilts. It changed how I felt about quilts. Flipping through the Internet searching for modern quilts I found Melissa Cory's quilt Sugar Pop N Change and I kept going back to stare at it. At the same time, I was organizing my new stash and realized I had a tremendous amount purples and blues. I also wanted to add some embroidery that was subtle and modern. I found these cool dragonfly designs at Urban Threads. (somewhere I read that dragonflies signify transition in some cultures). So in Feb 2011, I did a 3 day retreat with some of my mothers quilting friends and created this quilt. At that time, I had never quilted a quilt so I had Sue Hodge long-arm quilt it with spirals. All of the fabric in this quilt was from my mother's stash. The pattern was my transition to modern quilts. 

Pieced back with left-overs from the front

Quilting has become a passion, it makes me feel close to mom. I feel like she's watching and I think she's pleased!

I'm linking up with Amy's Creative Side for the Bloggers' Quilt Festival. Go over and check out some of the other great quilts and quilt stories!

Amy'sCreativeSide


Color Me Quilty!

Pat

29 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt!! I love dragonflies, and your use of them along with the colors is just wonderful. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful memory and heritage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gran bella storia, la mamma da lassù ti guida....
    La trapunta è favolosa!
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful story, Pat! Such a meaningful quilt. I'm sure you treasure it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story and a special quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your mum would have been proud and delighted. You have obviously absorbed the love of colour and design from someone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your story was so beautiful and I am so happy you shared it with us. Your quilt is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Pat - I love your quilts and you are doing your mum proud. This is an incredible quilt and thank you for sharing the story behind it.

    lifesrichpattern at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings from Hungary. I love the abstract pattern .. Staple the beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice work thanks for the quilt for division.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt looks great. I have had my eye on that design too. I love the colours you have used and I really like the way you have incorporated the dragon fly design. This will hold special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great quilt: great colors and I love the pattern.
    Great view too :) Your Mom would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I left a comment on another part of your blog but wanted to say how much i love the layout and the butterflies! And so sorry about your mom. She would be very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure your mom would be proud. My mom was a quilter too and I so miss sharing my passion with her but am warmed by the sweet memories when I snuggle under one of her creations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your story! There's a lot of connection and healing that can come from making a quilt. Love the way you used the stash from your mother to make this pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you for your kind words over at my blog, Pat!

    I am sure your mom is also smiling up above us seeing what a beauty you created!

    Kristina
    www.priscillacraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your mom would be so proud of you. Beautiful quilt, inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful story and the quilt is gorgeous! I love the colors and the design of the dragonfly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww, what a beautiful story and quilt, love the dragonflies

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful quilt! I love the colors you put together. I also love mosaic-looking quilts - such a cool effect. You must be so proud of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the colors and design of this quilt and the story that goes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful story and wonderful quilt.
    I love dragonflies too !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing your story and a great quilt. I love blues with white.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great quilt (love the colors) and an even better story.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, what a beautiful quilt! Thanks for sharing your story of losing your dear Mom, you've definitely taken over her passion for quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your Mom is wrapped up in that quilt with you. She would be so so proud! The colors are beautiful and I truly love the dragonflies. This post touched my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  27. this pattern is beautiful. I'm adding it to my list~

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely quilt - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. and your grand children can add to that list "and my grandma made some beautiful quilts! A lovely story to go with a fab quilt!

    ReplyDelete