Thursday, October 27, 2011

Quilting with Decorative Stitches Experiment

What's a hobby if you don't fiddle around sometimes and try new things? That's why I'm linking up with Happy Quilting for Try New Things (TNT) Thursday!


 
The other day, I had the opportunity to try out the new (and very FANCY) Pfaff Creative Sensation. I have also recently been on a free motion kick! I thought about all of the fancy stitches that my Baby Lock Ellegante has and wondered if I could quilt with them. So, I made up some "quilt sandwiches" and had a go at it!

Just one page in one section of decorative stitches, built-in

First attempt: the stitches at the top, middle, and bottom should be circles!
I thought I was doomed at getting the stitches to line up. I tried fiddling with the alignment buttons, to no avail. Then, when all else failed, I read the manual (I know, horror!).  I had been using my walking foot, because I was quilting, WRONG choice! I should have been using foot "N" (who knew??).

Foot "N" on the left, walking foot on the right.

With foot "N" and fiddling with the alignment to get it back where it belonged.

Attempt to make curves with the stitches and combine with straight stitches


The back and forth curves are 1 1/2" wide! This is a decorative stitch!

Also 1 1/2" wide! Perfect waves!
 I like the results I got, but I'm not sure when or how I will use them. But it is nice to know I CAN do it! I really loved playing with the stitches.

Well, I'm off to see if Melissa, at Happy Quilting, is ready to link-up! Until then, you can just Color Me Quilty!

Pat

6 comments:

  1. I love the last photo - so pretty! I want to learn how to do this, someday.

    Visiting from TNT Thursdays at Happy Quilting =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you had so much fun!!! I love the swirl stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool feature on a machine! These look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea!! VEry pretty decorative stiches!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool stitches! I would definitely use a couple of those last ones!

    ReplyDelete