Wednesday, November 9, 2011

WIP Wednesday # 4: Machine Embroidery

I was in full Christmas stocking mode this week with 7 stocking "feet" made.  I switched my machine over to embroidery,  because I want to embroider names on the cuffs (using metallic thread of course). The first two stockings it worked great, but I was running out of thread and had to switch to a different type of metallic thread - not so good.
Thread was looping and shredding!
So, without the right metallic thread readily at hand, I decided to embroider some fish for a couple of pillow Christmas presents. It's a large design (61 minutes, not including stopping to change thread), but I think it's going to look great!









So the stats for the week:

In-process: (6)
Hip to be Square FMQ sampler (still at 14 out of 30 blocks quilted)
Cubic Rhythm ( still 1/4 quilted)
Table runner (nope)
Purple heart wall hanging (nope)
Expanding Possibilities quilt (nope)
Free-Motion practice samples (Stomach Lining - linked up at Fluffy Sheep Quilting)

New projects in the cue to start: (3)
7 Christmas Stockings - stockings part completed on all 7, 2 cuffs embroidered. Need to make the lining and assemble.
FLMQG solids challenge crib quilt (Not started)
New Wave quilt (not started)

Projects completed this week: (0)

I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday!


WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


Color Me Quilty!

Pat

29 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the metallic thread issue, but that fish is going to look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I just love the fish you are stitching. :) Absolutely awesome!

    Mary
    http://www.quiltgenius.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, don't you hate when thread doesn't do what it's supposed to? That fish is going to look really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear of your thread issues. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like fun, I think that fish is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and commenting on the Homemade Stockings! I love yours as well. Also, I love how you embroidered the names. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Machine embroidery is something I know nothing about. I find it so intriguing! Your work is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a cool machine! I love to watch those embroider things when I'm at quilt shows! That fish is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow.. It will be a stunning fish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear the thread wasn't working out for you, but I simply love the fish you are working on! I hope you will be able to find the right thread to get the stockings done in time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate when that happens, when everything runs smoothly and then it just doesn't anymore. Hope you'll be able to finish the stockings soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That fish is super cute, so worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So impressive! My sewing machine can only do three stitches, so I'm always in awe of these fancy-shmancy machines!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Boo to your thread problems, but your fish sure does look cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always wondered about embroidery machines... seems really neat to work with. Hope you are back at it soon with the right thread!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love my embroidery machine and find a larger needle helps with the metallic thread shedding problem. love the fish

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love you machine....maybe someday :)
    I have sewn on a machine the hubby paid $60 for at Wal Mart for 3 years now.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What kind of thread were you using? (Just curious.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that really makes me want to get an embroidery machine. That fish is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice to have an embroidery machine!! The fish looks like it will be great w/the background elements, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  21. sorry to hear about your thread issues, hope you can get the good stuff soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Total bummer on the metallic thread, but the fish is looking great

    ReplyDelete
  23. These embroidery machines are so amazing! The fish is wonderful. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such pretty embroidery! Sorry that one started to mess up, I hate when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are a trooper to keep calm and carry on! The fish is delightful. Some threads are better than others!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So jealous of your machine! That fish looks like a great design.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Eeek! Dumb thread. :( The fish look Great!

    ReplyDelete